I’m starting to loose my Spanish while living over here, so pardon my poor attempts at remembering any Spanish words from those high school Spanish classes oh so long ago. I get them all mixed up with Indonesian words. So, this is the recipe for Los Bestos Tacos, or Tacos yang Paling Enak, or Los Tacos yang Muy Delicioso, or Really Yummy Please-Make-These-Right-Now Tacos.
You’ll be shocked to know that both the Spanish and Indoneisa word for taco is taco (although Indonesian would probably spell it tako. But let’s be honest, most Indonesians have never eaten a tako or a taco.)
Enough language lessons.
Woah baby, you will never buy hard taco shells again after trying these tacos.
Nathan’s parents own a timeshare in Mexico, so we’ve had some really yummy tacos. But I knew I’d found a winner when Nathan said these rivaled los tacos mexicanos.
First, you’ll want to lay out your corn tortillas. There are no corn tortillas in this country. These came in a care package. Awesome.
Shmear each tortilla with a little bit of refried beans. I made mine from scratch, but you could used canned if you have access to such wonderful things.
Then add the cooked beef. I’ve used ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning. But this time I just cut some beef into chunks and seasoned it with salt and cayenne pepper. Both choices are super yum-e.
Using tongs, fold the tacos in half and put into hot oil (about 350 F).
Let cook in oil for about 1 minute, 30 seconds each side.
Drain the oil out of the taco (otherwise you’ll have a greasy mess) and then set on rack to cool. Sprinkle each taco shell with a pinch of salt.
Once the tacos are cool enough to touch, add whatever condiments you like in your tacos. We like cheese and pico de gallo. Muy enak sekali (Spaglonesian at its finest)!
Los Bestos* Tacos
6 corn tortillas
1/2 pound ground or unground beef
taco seasoning or salt and cayenne pepper
refried beans (I use this recipe)
oil for frying
pico de gallo or salsa
1. For ground beef, prepare according to package directions on taco seasoning. For unground beef, cut beef (I really can’t say what cut of beef you should get. Mine is a mystery cut.) into small bit sized pieces and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Cook on skillet over medium heat until cooked through.
2. Layout tortillas. Smear a thin layer of refried beans on each one followed by a layer of cooked beef.
3. Fold each taco in half and place into hot oil with tongs. Cook for 1 minutes, 30 seconds each side, or until golden and crispy.
4. Drain and remove from oil. Please on a rack to cool. Sprinkle each taco with a pinch of salt.
5. Add condiments and enjoy!
*After re-reading this post, I realized that “Los Bestos” could sound like Asbestos, which is not appetizing at all. But these tacos are muy enak sekali, I promise.